Issue with running py4vasp

Questions regarding the compilation of VASP on various platforms: hardware, compilers and libraries, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

pascal_boulet1

Issue with running py4vasp

#1 Post by pascal_boulet1 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:47 pm

Dear all,

I have installed py4vasp on my MAC laptop following the tutorial py4vasp/latest/#installation.

I have first created an environment with conda (py4vasp-env) and then installed py4vasp within this environment with the commands:
conda install -c conda-forge mdtraj
pip install py4vasp

But now, I cannot run py4vasp. I have tried both from outside the environment and from inside it, but nothing works. I have also tried within a Jupyter notebook, same result!
When I type "import py4vasp" in the notebook the answer is:
ModuleNotFoundError Traceback (most recent call last)
/var/folders/xh/dmp4hwcd1792lslcn6v_wzrm0000gp/T/ipykernel_9654/3993992965.py in <module>
----> 1 import py4vasp

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'py4vasp'

One thing: I can see the py4vasp package (executable) in the directory ~/.conda/envs/py4vasp-env/bin, where is it supposed, I think, to be installed.

I don't understand what's going wrong.

Hints about this issue would be welcome.
Thank you
Pascal

martin.schlipf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Issue with running py4vasp

#2 Post by martin.schlipf » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:29 am

I tried to reproduce this but so far I couldn't. The only thing I noticed was some trouble installing mdtraj in Python 3.12. Could you write exactly line by line how you setup the environment and then install py4vasp? For the record, I tried the following

Code: Select all

conda create -n demo python=3.11
conda activate demo
conda install -c conda-forge mdtraj
pip install py4vasp
If I do not set the python=3.11 constraint, conda cannot resolve the mdtraj dependency. Please report back, if the same instructions do not work on you machine and attach the output to the terminal so I can have a look.
pascal_boulet1 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:47 pm One thing: I can see the py4vasp package (executable) in the directory ~/.conda/envs/py4vasp-env/bin, where is it supposed, I think, to be installed.
py4vasp should not install a py4vasp executable to that folder. However, you should see py4vasp in .conda/envs/py4vasp-env/lib/python3.11/site-packages .

Martin Schlipf
VASP developer

pascal_boulet1

#3 Post by pascal_boulet1 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:24 pm

Hello Martin,

Thank you for your reply. I have removed the py4vasp-env environment, recreated it and installed the packages following your instructions. I have gathered the terminal outputs in the attached text file.

Actually, it seems to work now. I have noticed that, the ~/.conda/environments.txt file was belonging to root, which was leading to an error when conda was trying to write in it. So I changed it so that I am the owner of the file. Could it be the reason for the failure of my previous installation? The second thing that has changed is the python version: in the previous one it was using python 3.7 by default. Now it is 3.11.

I am still facing some trouble: when I launch the jupyter notebook I get the error: Error displaying widget
For instance, here is the sequence of commands with the responses:
[1] import py4vasp
Error displaying widget
[2] calc = py4vasp.Calculation.from_path(".")
[3] calc.structure.plot()
Error displaying widget

I suppose I am missing some packages, but which ones?

Pascal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martin.schlipf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by martin.schlipf » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:28 am

It sounds like the conda environment was missing a Python installation so it defaulted to the system Python. py4vasp requires Python >=3.8 which may also contribute to it not working as intended.

As for the widget not working: This sounds like an issue of the nglview package. Can you try

import nglview
nglview.demo()
If that causes the same output, something went wrong with installing nglview.

Martin Schlipf
VASP developer

pascal_boulet1

#5 Post by pascal_boulet1 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:37 am

I am not well versed with python and co, I know I should learn, but don't have much time for this unfortunately, so I list below the commands I type on the terminal and the responses.
For nglview:
pascal@mcsete 06.PHON % conda activate py4vasp-env
(py4vasp-env) pascal@mcsete 06.PHON % python
Python 3.11.2 (main, Feb 16 2023, 16:29:15) [Clang 12.0.0 (clang-1200.0.32.29)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import nglview
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'nglview'
>>> ^D
(py4vasp-env) pascal@mcsete 06.PHON % conda list

In this list I can see nglview:
nglview 3.0.8 pypi_0 pypi

For python 3.8: should I also install it in the py4vasp-env environment?

pascal_boulet1

#6 Post by pascal_boulet1 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:51 am

For nglview again: if I open a jupyter notebook and type “import nglview” I get the same error: Error displaying widget
and the same with nglview.demo()

martin.schlipf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by martin.schlipf » Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:41 am

When you are in the conda enviroment and query

which python
does it show a path within the conda environment?
pascal_boulet1 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:37 am For python 3.8: should I also install it in the py4vasp-env environment?
Sorry for the confusion, I edited my previous post to clarify that it should be Python >=3.8 (but not 3.12 yet).
pascal_boulet1 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:51 am For nglview again: if I open a jupyter notebook and type “import nglview” I get the same error: Error displaying widget
and the same with nglview.demo()
I could reproduce this. This is slightly different to my usual setup so I need to check what difference causes this issue. I will get back to you when I know. In the meantime the rest of the py4vasp commands that do not rely on plotting things in the structure should work fine.

Martin Schlipf
VASP developer

martin.schlipf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by martin.schlipf » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:32 pm

I am working on a more throughout fix at the moment but it seems downgrading the version of Jupyter notebook fixes this issue

pip install "notebook<7"

Martin Schlipf
VASP developer

pascal_boulet1

#9 Post by pascal_boulet1 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:16 pm

Hello,

Yes, now it works.

Thank you
Pascal